Sunday, September 1, 2024

Tex Avery's Cartoons Before His Golden Years At MGM

 


Tex Avery was an animation legend and one of the most famous animators out there. You should highly recommend watching one of his cartoons. 

My favorites are Symphony In Slang (1951), Northwest Hounded Police (1946), Droopy's Double Trouble (1951), Who Killed Who? (1943), Screwball Squirrel (1944), and Red Hot Riding Hood (1943). 

But before his days at his golden age studio, MGM, he started to work on Looney Tunes cartoons. Between 1935-1942, he made alot of cartoons and most of them were great too. I'll show you some of my favorites.


Tortoise Beats Hare (1941) is impeccable. Bugs Bunny and Cecil Turtle feel like a joke to the Looney Tunes universe but their not. Tex Avery did a fantastic job on making the original fable into a comedy because Disney did it like how it normally was, and while that cartoon to me is great, I found this one way more gag heavy, like in the opening, where Bugs sees the titlecard while chewing on his carrot.


 


 This is one of the best meltdowns to a character I ever  seen. I want to make my cartoons break the 4th wall like this.


The Bear's Tale (1940) - If you ask me, I prefer these bears than the three bears Chuck Jones made. The papa bear is basically Tex Avery himself and has a great character likeness about it. The mama bear pretty much has more reason to exist than the other mama bear Chuck Jones made, and the baby bear is just too cute. The backgrounds especially the ending is absolutely beautiful. Give this a watch. It's a fairytale parody mixed in with comedy. 



The Blowout (1936) is just satisfying to me. When I first watched this one, I really enjoyed it. But I didn't know it was this well-liked. The plot is easy to follow and some of the animation bits feel inspired. The villain is decent and Porky Pig is at his cutest design. This one is rare to find but if you find it, this is a must watch.






I Love To Singa (1936) is a cartoon I wanted to like, and somehow did. Not only does this have a hidden message in here, saying you don't need to be like your parents, you can have your own unique hobby, it also soaks in with characters you won't be able to see again, and it has these really pleasant backgrounds to look at. It's a heartwarming cartoon and while I don't think it's one of Tex Avery's best, it's a cartoon I will never forget. 


A Wild Hare (1940) is the official start for Bugs Bunny. It's a cartoon I kinda get sick of though, because this unnecessarily has a slow pace at times, and not all gags land in my taste, but most of the humor in here is great, and a good way to start out this fresh iconic rabbit. 



The Cagey Canary (1941) to me is better than Tweetie Pie (1947). I'm saying that cuz the plot feels similar at times. But what makes this one such a masterpiece is that the expressions are on point with how they react, and the owner feels more expressive and we can actually see her whole look. Heck this cartoon looks the best out there. I love this house, and some of the camera angles are outstanding. 



This one in particular is amazing. 👇






I have a few more cartoons I really enjoyed by Tex Avery in his Warner Bros. years.


Daffy Duck And Egghead (1938)
Of Fox And Hounds (1940)
Ain't We Got Fun (1937)
Porky The Wrestler (1937)
Thugs With Dirty Mugs (1939)


Tex Avery is always going to be a icon to me throughout my life and creativity. He made one of the most iconic cartoon characters and shaped animation as we know it.


Enough talk said, have a good day. 👍 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mickey, Donald And Goofy Work Together Perfectly

  Mickey, Donald and Goofy always have timeless personalities and fun adventures. Nearly almost 90 years ago, all 3 of them pretty much had ...