Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Reviewing Every Classic Sam And Ralph Cartoon



Previously I talked about Chuck Jones and how he was better with making cartoons in the 40s than how abstract and pointless his 60s cartoons were, and at one point I talked about one of the best characters I ever seen nowadays. Sam Sheepdog and Ralph Wolf. All of their shorts are masterpieces. I'm not kidding. So I'm reviewing all 7 of their shorts. Let's get right in!




Don't Give Up The Sheep (1953)


Back in 1953, Chuck Jones made really solid and fun cartoons like Forward March Hare, Duck Amuck, and Duck! Rabbit, Duck!, but nothing comes this close to these two characters in a expressive and fun start. I love Sam's expressions and some of the backgrounds feel so nostalgic to me. There is also memorable gags like the Pan with the flute gag, the wildcat gag, and him disguising as a bush. This is fantastic from start to finish. And promise me, in my opinion it starts to get better.


Sheep Ahoy (1954)


The introduction as a whole in this is already amazing. Backgrounds, excellent, Ralph's really creepy, yet amazing expression behind the bushes, also excellent. This one also has great gags like when Ralph is using a smoke bomb to cover himself so he won't be noticed, but then Sam puts a stick of dynamite to make it worse. And just this entire land filled with more characters like with the black haired sheepdog and darker wolf is enjoyable on its own. 


Double Or Mutton (1955)


In my taste, best Sam and Ralph cartoon so far. Every gag in this is perfection. Also love when the certain time of day it's raining and has a vibe to it.  Has an incredible background in the last 10 seconds of the cartoon and Ralph's expressions are getting so funnier. 


Steal Wool (1957)


When I think of a Sam and Ralph cartoon, this one already pops out of my mind. It's probably because some of these gags I remember so well, like when Ralph keeps in tact of a sheep so he won't get noticed by Sam. Also this is pretty much the first time we ever visited both of their houses. I'm shocked they live in the same neighborhood and live so close, makes it feel more relaxed and heartwarming. 


Ready, Woolen, and Able (1960)


How the heck does the aesthetic of these get better and better the times I see it? I mean I don't necessarily love Chuck Jones's work but man when it comes to the settings like this, I get a feeling that I need to experience nature far more than I ever have. Sunrises and sunsets are truly inspiring. Anyways, this is funny to the core. The best part is that Ralph is just seeing all of these Sam Sheepdog look-a-likes whenever he fails. This has to be Ralph's worst day yet but for a cartoon it's funny for that reason.


A Sheep In The Deep (1962)


When I went back and watched this one, I suddenly realized, these are one of the best classic cartoons I ever seen in terms of how heartwarming these can get. The lunch-time scene is a masterpiece of a moment, when Ralph dances it gets me in the mood, and the ending is both funny, and really wholesome. Love these guys so much. We have one more cartoon left to go. 


Woolen Under Where (1963)


The final short that Sam and Ralph have to offer and it's absolutely sensational. Not only does this have the best finales for very overlooked characters but has the best ending to date in the classic Looney Tunes catalog next to Kitty Kornered and The Great Piggy Bank Robbery's ending. The moments are fun, and we almost saw what might have been the last fate for Sam Sheepdog but then it was too late and he didn't get affected. Let these characters be alive, I never wanted them to be lost in the dust. These characters are truly impeccable.


What a blast to be watching all of these cartoons after I decided to watch every Classic Looney Tunes cartoon last year. I remember saying that these cartoons were alright, but man I changed so much and I loved a more relaxing, laid-back personality with art like Sam Sheepdog and Ralph Wolf. Not gonna lie, I found these characters more iconic than Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner. Their on my Top 10 Favorite Cartoon Characters list. I admire them.

Anyways better be leaving, see you next time, Bye-a! 👋 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hare Ribbin' (1944) Part 2

  The underwater effect is really great in this cartoon. I also love how Bugs dressed up as a mermaid, literally plays tag and slaps the hec...